I’m Hungry

Cavalero Field

My dining room

Reflection

1.  There were many great photos used and were specifically taken at the right time to express different attributes. I decided to take a picture of Blake blowing a bubble to show and express the transparency of the gum. The second photo, of cereal, I chose because I knew the flakes could become really vibrant in a sea of black and white.
  2. The first photo was taken around 8:30 AM, with the sun as natural light. The second photo was taken at 10 PM with the dining room light as the light source. Although both have been retouched to be in black and white, the first photo shows excitement with the contrast of pink with gray as well as the bright white in the background. This is the same as with the second photo, only with different colors.
  3. I incorporated the rule of thirds when my first photo. In the first photo, I cropped the image just enough, not to focus, on Blake, but on the bubble. As for the second photo, I used symmetry and attempted to crop the image of the cereal bowl so it was centered and aligned with the head.
  4. I really enjoyed using the color splash technique because it really shows the contrast between black and white and vibrant color or colors. The first photo is really nice because I was able to make the gum really pop and stand out in all the black and white.  The second photo with the cereal, the photo is really nice because I was able to use different colors in Photoshop to differentiate the blue and yellow with the contrasting dark wood.
  5. I used focus because I didn’t want the main subject(gum and cereal), to be secondary to any other objects. I used depth of field, specifically in the first photo just to focus on Blake and the gum. For exposure, I wanted to incorporate the light, either the dining room light or the sun, to help make the subjects more vibrant.
  6. What advice would you give to next year’s students for shooting food portraits?
    1. Make clear what the subject is so viewers do not focus on the wrong thing
    2. Incorporate composition techniques
    3. In Photoshop, when using the color splash effect make sure to you all tools that make the subject pop out.